The E-government for Development Programme, funded by the Government of Italy, is an initiative which aims at responding to the growing demand for technical and advisory services by developing countries, and countries with economies in transition in the area of e-Government, with a specific focus on e-accounting
applications. The overall goal of this Programme is to support the ongoing process of administrative reform and e-government capacity-building in selected beneficiary countries by promoting the adoption of modern ICT in public administration as an effective tool to enhance public sector reform and foster the creation of public value in support of the Millennium Development Goals.
More precisely, for the enhancement of good governance, the initiative acknowledges the paramount importance of e-accounting, intended as the modernization and digitalization of the procedures suppporting the economic and financial cycle of public administrations and governments. These include the digitalization and integration of the public accounting and reporting systems, the tax-revenue procedures, the customs systems and the public procurement procedures. E-accounting is considered as a prerequisite for the sound functioning of a national governance system, since, among other things, it maps out all the financial flows of public administration activities, hence promoting the transparency and efficiency of the entire public system.
With the specific aim defined above, the projects financed by the Programme will focus on three elements:
* The development of strategic e-accounting policies and tools;
* The strengthening of the public sector’s capacity to effectively use e-accounting solutions; and
* The implementation of e-accounting solutions to ensure transparency in the public sector.
DESA is currently partnering with five countries – Belize, Jamaica, Morocco, Saint Lucia, and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines - to implement operational e-government projects at the national level in specific e-accounting priority areas indicated by the countries themselves.
* Press Release of the Steering Committee Meeting "Eastern Caribbean E-accounting Iniatiative" held on 6 November 2007 at the UN Headquaters English French
* Report on the Final Steering Committee Meeting of the Project “Enhancing Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Government’s Official Website” (GLO/05/E05)
* Report on the Final Steering Committee Meeting of the Project "Integrating Saint Lucia Information Systems" (GLO/05/E05)